The Connect App
A social media meant to connect
I present to you a problem: You're a college student, it's a Thursday night, and you have nothing to do. You want to meet up with friends, but you don't want to go through the hassle of searching through various social medias to find possible plans. You wish there was an easier way to let your friends know that you were available to hang out.
Connect is a geo-based platform that allows users to follow friends and organizations to see when they are available for events and social activities. The entire premise of the app is to allow friends to easily plan and communicate with each other, without the hassle of using Groupme/Facebook/Snapchat or any other social media platform that is meant to keep users online instead of in-person. Anyone can use Connect, regardless of the user's race/age/religion/sexual orientation, for the purpose of Connect is to bring people together to interact.
What are Connect's defining Features?
- The Connect Icon- The Connect Icon is the founding feature of the app, and is also the app icon. When ready, users press the "earth" icon on the bottom center of the map, the two pieces will click together and the app will notify all of the user's friends that he or she is ready to socialize
- Calendar Access- The calendar icon is a feature that has been requested by thousands of people via viral tweets, but has not truly been capitalized on. This feature will allow users to select their weekly availability and compare it with other friends on the app through the explore page. This will allow users to find when the best possible opportunities are for a group to socialize.
- Create Events- The create event icon is not unlike event features used on many apps. What makes Connect different is the ability to choose what friends can view created events, and allow them to join temporary groupchats with those planning on attending. Once the event is over, and an allotted time period has passed, the groupchat will delete itself and future events will take its place.
About the Creators
Zach Lyons: I am a 3rd year Communication and Leadership major at the University of Texas at Austin, with a developing Business minor. Talking to people is and always has been a passion of mine, particularly in communicating and understanding different perspectives. As a first-generation student I was unsure of what I wanted to gain from my experience in college, but Connect has given me a drive I could have never anticipated. It has allowed me to fully utilize my communication skills in identifying a glaring social media issue, which is a lack of in-person connect-ability. I am now using the framework learned from my business classes to reach out and gain new resources for my app idea, and am still utilizing my communication skills to attract potential investors and users.
The Appineers: The Appineers is a growing app development company located in Roswell, Georgia. I reached out to work with them because of their outstanding customer satisfaction and incredible work ethic. Since they are a smaller company, they filter and select which app ideas they would like to work with, and Connect was one they were very excited to help develop. Though our partnership is only feasible if I can pay for their service, the Senior Adviser Noel Will has been more than willing to send me resources and his contact information for potential investors. I hope to raise the funds to continue working with them and finish developing Connect.
How can this be successful?
- Mobile downloads are only increasing in size. The potential is explosive, with 20% iOS consumer spend growth year after year, topping $14 Billion
- With social media advertising projected to spend $18.4 Billion by the end of 2019, the industry is lucrative with possible investments and opportunities
- With 98% of Gen Z eventually using smartphones, and 85% learning about new products via the internet, the target audience is perfect for an app that allows social media to blend with in-person interaction
- The geo-based platform will allow users to try something new. Non-customers are three times more likely than customers to visit retailers from social media ads, and potential advertisements could be places to eat/hang out/shop with friends. All utilized by Connect.
Sep 26, 2019
Oct 4, 2019